We are lucky to live in a time when so much natural birthing information is available to us! The Birth Center strongly recommends that a mother and her partner take a high quality, independent birthing class. Taking a birthing class will help prepare a mother and her partner with knowledge about pregnancy, comfort techniques, tools for labor, information about natural responses to labor, and caring for a new baby. There are many types of classes and what type of class you choose is personal and may include the teacher’s personality, the techniques used, when and where the class is taught and the cost of the class. You should make choices early, by about your 20th week of pregnancy, to assure that you have time to complete the series and the teacher has space for you in his/her classes. Click here to see videos of local instructors describing their classes. Classes offered in our facility by independent instructors are listed below:
Birthing From Within classes by Jennifer Sorensen Whitaker Fridays from 6-9pm. For more information or to sign up, go to: http://www.utahbirthsupport.com
Mothers leave classes with more confidence that they can handle anything that might come their way during birth. They are hopeful and strong.
Partners come away with a clear understanding of what labor looks like. They gain lots of ideas of what they can do to help the birthing mother and how to interact with the birth staff.
Couples deepen their connection and form a strong team that will work well in labor and new parenthood.
Hypnobabies with Bonnie Baker For more information about this class and Bonnie, visit www.bellissimobirth.com
Rather than using simple relaxation, breathing or guided imagery, Hypnobabies utilizes medical hypnosis techniques. This allows our Hyno-Moms to enjoy "eyes-open childbirth hypnosis", easily remaining deeply in hypnosis while walking, talking and changing positions. Hynobabies is well-known for helping women to create much shorter, easier and more comfortable labors, making chlidbirth the joyful experience it was meant to be.
Hypnobabies classes with Aubrey Slabbert ((not teaching presently))
Hypnobabies utilizes deep hypnosis techniques to allow mothers to experience easier and more comfortable births. Hypnobabies courses include 18 hours of instruction and couples come away with a well rounded knowledge of the physiology of birth, variations of normal, birth plans, comfort measures and more. Birth partners are a big focus in Hypnobabies and partners are involved every step of the way. Hypnobabies instruction includes a variety of hypnosis techniques that are practiced both in class and at home. For more information on Hypnobabies and instructor, Aubrey Slabbert, see www.liminalspacesbirth.com
HynoBirthing classes with Whitney Lancaster For more information , go to www.insightcourage.com or call 801-674-6492.
HypnoBirthing is a great choice for moms wanting to learn how to tap into their natural birthing instincts and work with, rather than against, their bodies in labor. For 25 years, women have been using HypnoBirthing to have a more empowered and natural birth experience, based on a framework of evidence-based birth education. Class sessions are 5 weeks in length and each class is approximately 2.5 hours long. Partners are an integral part of the birth experience and are encouraged to practice the relaxation exercises right along with mom.
Classes on Breastfeeding offered at The Birth Center by Certified Lactation counselor Meghan ReedCall 801-288-2229 for more information
For expectant mothers and their partners to get off to a great start with smooth breastfeeding with your expected little one, we encourage you to take this "basics for getting started".
Next classes are open to the public and offered every other month. $35 and a call to The Birth Center holds your spot!
Lamaze: Helping You Decide What’s Best for Both (no class in our facility at the present time)
- Lamaze supports evidence-based pregnancy and birth practices that are supported by research and experienced childbirth educators.
- Lamaze guides you as you navigate all of your options, and their benefits and drawbacks.
- Lamaze seeks to empower you as you explore how your body was designed for birth, and encourages you to work with your body’s natural abilities.
- Lamaze provides strategies for natural pain management during labor, reducing unnecessary medical interventions. - Lamaze ensures that you feel continuously supported during labor and birth.
- Lamaze stresses the importance of natural pain management strategies through labor and birth, helping you choose methods that are safe and healthy.
- Lamaze encourages bonding between you and your baby, with the importance of skin-to-skin contact and time to get to know your new baby after birth.
Using breathing techniques and distraction, Lamaze is another type of class. The classes are generally 6 sessions.
Other local resources:
- The Bradley Method with Stephanie King: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Group or individual teaching with Pampered Birth: http://pamperedbirth.com/childbirth-classes
- Lamaze class at LDS hospital (takes Medicaid) : https://intermountainhealthcare.org/hospitals/lds/services/women/education/Pages/CalendarDetail.aspx?EventID=3048
- Childbirth class at LDS hospital (takes Medicaid): http://intermountainhealthcare.org/hospitals/lds/services/women/education/Pages/CalendarDetail.aspx?EventID=3055
- Childbirth classes at St Marks: http://stmarkshospital.com/service/childbirth-education
- KSL's childbirth education list: http://local.ksl.com/ut/salt-lake-city/childbirth-education-preparation?categories=%5B%22267007000%22%5D
- SLCC childbirth education: http://www.slcccontinuinged.com/program/doula-childbirth-education
- Curtis Method Hypnosis with Laura Lynn Curtis: http://www.hypnobirthingutah.com
- Kiri Richie's Mommy Method: http://www.mommymethodbirthing.com
- Aubrey Slabbert's Hypnobabies: http://www.liminalspacesbirth.com
- Hailey Maloney: http://www.birthutah.com